PLACES AND MONUMENTS TO VISIT


IN COVA DA IRIA

On the colonnade in front of the Basilica, statues of four Portuguese Saints can be seen: St. John of God, St. John of Brito, St. Anthony and Bl. Nuno of Santa Maria.

From one side to the other, from left to right, are the following saints: St. Teresa of Avila, St. Francis de Sales, Bl. Marcelino de Champagnat, St. John Baptist de la Salle, St. Alphonsus Maria de Ligouri, St. Jonh Bosco with St. Dominic Savio, St. Louis Marie Grignon de Montfort, St. Vincent de Paul, St. Simon Stock, St. Ignatius of Loyola, St. Paul of the Cross and St. Beatrice da Silva.

The white marble statue in the niche above the entrance to the Basilica, sculptured by Fr. Thomas McGlynn, OP., shows Our Lady in one of her apparitions she urged devotion to her Immaculate Heart.

ESPLANADE: with its monumental flights of steps and colonnades, and Stations of the Cross in polychrome ceramic designs.

Esplanada Santuário


CHAPEL OF APPARITIONS: the very heart of the Sanctuary. It was the first edifice constructed in Cova da Iria, at the place of Our Lady's Apparitions. The exact spot is marked by a marble pillar on which the Statue of Our Lady is placed. Here converge the four million pilgrims who visit the Sanctuary each year.

Capelinha das Aparições   Capelinha das Aparições


BASILICA: begun in 1928 and consecrated on 7 October 1953, its 15 altars are dedicated to the 15 mysteries of the Rosary.

Basilica de Fatima  Basilica de Fátima

The painting above the high altar depicts the Message of Our Lady to the little shepherds, prepared by the Angel of Portugal, through their encounter with Christ in the Eucharist. The Bishop of the diocese is shown kneeling on the left side, and the figures of Pope Pius XII (who consecrated the world to the lmma­culate Heart of Mary in 1942, and whose Legate crowned the Statue of Our Lady in 1946), of Pope John XXIII and Pope Paul VI. 

Scenes of the apparitions are represented in stained glass, as well as invocations from the Litany of Our Lady. 

ln the four corners of the Basilica interior are placed the statues of the great apostles of the Rosary and of devotion to the lmmaculate Heart of Mary: St. Anthony Claret, St. Dominic of Gusman, St. John Eudes and St. Stephen, King of Hungary.

The tombs of Francisco and Jacinta are in the Basilica, and, in the chancel, are the mortal remains of D. José Alves Correia da Silva, first Bishop of Leiria after its restoration in 1920.

The monumental organ, mounted in 1952, has about 12 thousand pipes.

PERPETUAL ADORATION CHAPEL: Situated at the end of the colonna­de, on the eastern side, this chapel for perpetual adoration of the Blessed Sacra­ment exposed, is a place of silent prayer and adoration.

THE BIG HOLMOAK, under which the little shepherds and the early pilgrims awaited Our Lady's coming, and prayed the Rosary.

Azinheira

 

BASILICA OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Basilica dedicated to the Holy Trinity, with 8.633 seats and 40.000 m², inaugurated on the occasion of the 90th anniversary of the apparitions.

Basilica Santissima Trindade  Basilica Santissima Trindade

  

MONUMENT TO THE SACRED HEART OF JESUS (1932): which stands in the centre of the square, over a spring found there, its waters being the instru­ment of many graces.

Monumento Coração de Jesus      Monumento Coração de Jesus

HOUSE OF OUR LADY OF DOLOURS, situated behind the Chapel of Apparitions, it is destined to receive the Sick during the great pilgrimages, and also for retreats and accommodation for pilgrims in general, to the number of 300. 

RECTORY: a building on the right side of the esplanade, in the House of Our Lady of Carmel. 

HOUSE OF OUR LADY OF CARMEL, which is above and behind the Rectory, with accommodation for 250.

BERLIN WALL: At the entrance of the Sanctuary, on the south side of the Rectory, one may visit a monument of the Berlin Wall's, consisting of a concrete segment that was part of it. (The Walls construction started during the night between the 12th. and 13th. of August, 1961 and its demolition began the 9th. of November, 1989) This segment was offered by means of Virgílio Casimiro Ferreira, a Portuguese emigrant in Germany and is here placed as a grateful memorial of God's intervention for the fall of Communism as promised at Fatima. The segment weighs 2,600 kilos (5,732 lbs.) and measures 3.60 meters (11 ft. 9 in.) high by 1.20 meters (3 ft. in.) wide. The present monument  was designed by the architect J. Carlos Loureiro and was inaugurated on the 13th. of August, 1994.

Muro de Berlim


HIGH CROSS, at the extreme south of the esplanade, it commemorates the closing of the Holy Year in 1951.

Cruz Alta Fátima


MONUMENT TO POPE PAUL VI: marking his pilgrimage to Fatima, on 13 May 1967.

João Paulo II

 

MONUMENT TO POPE PIO XII: erected as gift from German Catholics (1961).

Papa Pio XII

 

MONUMENT TO D. JOSÉ ALVES CORREIA DA SILVA: first Bishop of the restored diocese of Leiria ( 1920-1957), who declared the Apparitions of Our Lady at Fatima worthy of belief, and authorized the respective religious cults (13 October 1930).

 José Alves Correia Silva

 

PAUL VI PASTORAL CENTRE: (access beneath the esplanade) inaugura­ted on 13 May 1982, by Pope John Paul II, as a centre for study and reflection on the Message of Fatima, and of lhe problems of the modern world, in the light of the Gospel. The two auditoriums have seating for 2.124 and 700, and accom­modation for 400 pilgrims. Visiting is possible when there are no activities.

Centro Pastoral Fátima

 

OTHER PLACES - within a mile of the Sanctuary. 

IN FÁTIMA (the Parish centre)

PARISH CHURCH: there the seers were baptized and were inserted into the Christian community.

CEMITERY: where the bodies of Francisco and Jacinta were buried.

Igreja Matriz

 

IN ALJUSTREL AND VALINHOS

THE TWO HOUSES OF THE LITTLE SHEPHERDS: which have not un­dergone any notable transformation since the Apparitions. At the bottom of the garden of Lucia's home is the WELL, where the "Angel of Peace", the "Angel of Portugal'', appeared for the second time (in the sumrner of 1916).

Casa do Francisco   Casa da Lúcia

ETHNOGRAPHIC MUSEUM: near Lucia's house.

 Casa Museu   Poço

 

VALINHOS (400 metres from Aljustrel): the site of Our Lady 's 4th appar­ition, on 19 August 1917, marked by a monument.

Valinhos de Fátima    Cálvário nos Valinhos

LOCA DO ANJO: where the children received the first and third visit of the "Angel of Peace" (Spring and Autumn of 1916).

Via Sacra Valinhos   Loca do Anjo Valinhos

VIA SACRA E CAL­VÁRIO: The Holy Way is composed of 14 little chapels in me­mory of the Passion of Our Lord, and a 15th correspon­ding to the Resurrection. Beneath the Calvary there is a Chapel dedicated to St. Stephen of Hungary. The first 14 Stations were offe­red by Catholic Hungarian refugees in western coun­tries, and were inaugurated on 12 May 1964; the 15th on 13 October 1992, in the presence of the Ambassa­dor of Hungary, the country now liberated from Co­mmunism. The Holy Way begins at the south Rotunda of Saint Teresa, and follows the path which the little shepherds took when going frorn Aljustrel to the Cova da Iria.